Saturday, June 16, 2007

Refining Times

I miss Luke. I think it was sitting out on the circle with neighbors, watching the kids play, that made me miss him so much tonight. Or maybe it was saying goodbye to another friend heading out for deployment. Or maybe it was just spending the whole day with Ellie, sprawling out on the floor with her so she could crawl up to me and drum on my back and then crawl over to get to my other side and laugh, that made me miss him. Days like this make it seem like such a long time before he'll return home.
So I remind myself that it's easier now than it would be if Ellie were older, and that he's doing important work, and that someday when we've been married 30 years we'll look back on this and think of what a short time in our history it really was. I tell myself that there are other wives who have already done this several times, wives who give birth while their husbands are away, wives who don't have the kind of support I do here. And I remind myself that he's in God's hands, the safest place he can be, and doing the good works God prepared in advance for him to do. I am so thankful to rest in the loving arms of the Father, and to know Luke is also in His care.

Fear not, I am with you, O be not dismayed
For I am your God and will still give you aid.
I'll strengthen you, help you, and cause you to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
When through fiery trials your pathway shall lie
My grace, all sufficient, shall be your supply.
The flames will not hurt you, I only design
Your dross to consume and your gold to refine.
-John Rippon (How Firm a Foundation)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are praying for you and Luke, nad I know a lot of other people here in Dayton are too. I hope the time flies by for both you and Susie.
Love, Tracy

Mrs. Overbeek said...

I understand!