Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Lesson from Judges

As I learn to worship corporately with my one year old, I find it's best to fix my mind on just a few points of the sermon, and try to reflect on them later in the day. So here's what stood out to me today, in a sermon on Judges 6:

First: our fears show us our idols. Gideon was afraid of the Midianites, and convinced that God had abandoned His people, and worshipped the gods of the Amorites. What am I afraid of? What am I treasuring more than God and His glory?

Second: God, in His mercy, forgives His people over and over again, in spite of their unfaithfulness. And it isn't because of who they are, but who He is. We, too, are called to forgiveness because of who God is and what Christ has done. When I reflect on what Jesus Christ has forgiven me, how can I withhold my forgiveness?

Of course, it's easier said than done. But at least now, I know what to pray for.

No comments: