Sunday, September 16, 2007

Feeling Domestic

I haven't actually been a stay-at-home-mom in my own home yet, but here at my parents' house, I've found some extra time. It helps that my mom is always willing to read a story, change a diaper, or play "walk to me" with Ellie. Scrapbooking hasn't interested me lately, maybe because there's so much cleanup involved and I don't really have a place here to leave things out overnight. So instead, I've been rediscovering crochet and experimenting with baking.
My sister is a freshman at Grove City College this year, and hints heavily in every correspondance that she loves zucchini bread-- with cinnamon, she's always quick to add. So I made apple cinnamon zucchini bread in mini loaves this week, and sent some to her and to Luke. The recipe I used turned out pretty well, except that I wasn't sure how to long to bake the mini loaves, and I ended up letting a few of them cool before I realized they were still gooey. I put them back in the oven, and they seemed all right, but they may sit a little heavy in the tummy. At least I used the flat rate boxes to send them, so I didn't pay any extra in postage!
Crochet is a great hobby because, unlike scrapbooking, I can take it with me when I'm the passenger in the car, or while we're watching a movie after Ellie goes to sleep. And I've found lots of great patterns online and a few excellent ebay deals in the past few weeks. My deal with myself is that I have to finish what I start and not buy yarn until I have a purpose for it. I'm also experimenting with recycled yarn, unraveled from two sweaters I got at the Salvation Army. So far, I successfully unravelled one and washed it. It's taking a long time to dry, which is one of the perils of the Northeast that I had forgotten. Oh, the humidity!
Anyway, all of this makes me look forward to being a mommy and homemaker in my own home. It will be even better when my husband is there with me! We don't count the days, but we're roughly halfway through now, so at least the end is closer than the beginning.

No comments: