Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It's About Time

Ellie and I spent an hour and a half at the social security office yesterday. I graduated from college with my husband's name and commissioned as an officer with my husband's name. I've been driving with my husband's name, paying for cars and school loans with my husband's name, and renting our house with my husband's name. For the last FIVE YEARS. Now I can finally pay taxes with his name, too.

My dear mother-in-law officially welcomed me to the family when I told her!

2 comments:

boqpod said...

Are you saying Social Security didn't know you guys had the same last name??

Katie L said...

Well, no. According to Soc Sec, we didn't have the same last name. And so every year when we filed taxes, we had to use my maiden name and it drove Luke crazy, but then I'd forget to take care of it (or put it off) until the NEXT set of W-2s came around...